Ubidots is a two platform company - Ubidots and Ubidots for Education. The standard for Education license is a non-commercial license that supports our mission of making IoT easier and more accessible for everyone and is used by thousands of students, researchers, and hobbyists around the world, Ubidots for Education is best applied to DIY projects and non-commercial uses and accessed via the access URL app.ubidots.com.
Project aimed at commercial and industrial application should utilize the advanced development tools and reliability of the core Ubidots platform. For application requiring more than 5-10 devices, the Ubidots platform is likely the better fit and can be accessed via the URL: industrial.ubidots.com
For additional details in how you can access Ubidots and Ubidots for Education, click here.
What are the differences between Ubidots and Ubidots for Education?
Ubidots licenses allow system integrators, OEM's, and industrial IoT providers to create and deploy IoT applications and solutions quickly and with minimal architectural design efforts. With Ubidots an Administrator can offer customized IoT portals for end-customers, develop IoT applications with greater reliability and support from Ubidots, and monitor an entire IoT deployment from one single Ubidots Admin portal.
- No use restriction (can be used for both commercial or research projects)
- From 1 to thousands of devices (varies per plan)
- 2 rolling years of storage and retention
- Email, In-app Chat and Phone support plans available
- Dedicated data highways per account for server and computation requests
- 99.5% uptime across all subsystems (or more under a contracted SLA).
ALL features in the Educational license, plus:
- App Management: Create multiple apps, each one with a custom domain, logo, colors, and custom pages.
- IoT App Builder: Create custom widgets using your own HTML/JS, but is not yet available to be configured as an entire page.
- Device Management: Create organizations within apps, each one with it's own devices, users, dashboards, and events.
- User Management: Create users and deploy your App with different permissions and access capabilities so users can see what they need and nothing more.
- Ubidots Analytics Tools: Run mathematical, statistical, and serverless functions using UbiFunctions. Compute local math and stat expressions directly from Ubidots UI with Synthetic Variables.
- Create your own API Endpoints to access 3rd party data, APIs, and tools using HTTPS requests.
- Conditional Events Engine: trigger BI logic, automation, alerts, and events all from the complex conditional events (SMS, Email, Telegram, Slack, Voice Calling) engine in Ubidots
- Use Ubidots Device Types to configure device properties, appearance, and variables to automate the onboarding of thousands of devices.
- Private App Domains
- Private Application Branding and Visualization Customization
Here is an infographic to better understand the IoT Application Development and Deployment architecture and tools of Ubidots. Every Ubidots account has a lead "Administrator" who manages the IoT application(s). Each IoT application can be assigned multiple organizations; each organization can then be assigned it's own set of users and devices to optimize the application's functionality.
2) Ubidots for Education
- Shared sever and computational resources across all Educational platform users. Speed and reliability based on total platform requests at any given second.
- Non-commercial use ONLY (personal education, IoT research, or DIY projects)
- Recommend for up to 5 devices
- 3 rolling months of storage and retention
- Up to 60 dots per minute for all of the variables in your devices network.
- Self-service support with Ubidots' Help Center or Community.
- Free 5,000 credits to kick off your projects. Then you can purchase or earn more free credits.
- First device Free (up to 10 variables)
- Multiple dashboards for visualization
- Maximum 10 widgets per dashboard
- REST API and MQTT Support
- SMS, Email, WebHook & Telegram Alerts
- Derived variables computation (create variables using math expressions)
- Rolling window variables computation (create statistical operations like daily average, max value per month, etc.)
If you are an education institutions or non-profit, please note than many of your fellow organizations choose to upgrade to Ubidots seeking longer data retention, private customization, and user management features. "Ubidots for Education" is an ideal for future IoT growth and not a designation of a user's affiliation with any groups or organizations.