Ubidots is a two platform company - Ubidots and Ubidots STEM. The standard STEM plan is a non-commercial license that supports our mission of making IoT easier and more accessible for everyone and is used by thousands of students, researchers, and hobbyists around the world. Ubidots STEM is best applied to DIY projects and non-commercial uses.
Projects aimed at commercial or industrial applications should utilize the advanced development tools and reliability of the core Ubidots platform, even in prototyping phases. For applications requiring more than 3 devices, the Ubidots platform is likely a better fit.
What are the differences between Ubidots and Ubidots STEM?
Ubidots licenses allow system integrators, OEM's, and IoT Entrepreneurs to create and deploy IoT applications and solutions quickly and with minimal coding efforts. With Ubidots an Administrator can offer customized IoT portals for end-customers, develop IoT applications with greater reliability and support , and monitor an entire IoT deployment from one single Ubidots Admin portal.
- No use restriction (can be used for both commercial or research projects)
- From 1 to thousands of devices (varies per plan)
- 2 rolling years of storage and retention
- SLA and Support plans available
- Dedicated data ingestion mechanisms, maximizing uptime and API response times
- 99.5% uptime across all subsystems (or more under a contracted SLA).
ALL features in the STEM license, plus:
- App Management: Create multiple apps, each one with a custom domain, logo, and colors.
- IoT App Builder: Create custom widgets using your own HTML/JS and deploy them across multiple dashboards.
- Device Management: Create organizations within apps, each one with its own devices, users, dashboards, and events.
- User Management: Create users and deploy your App with different permissions and access capabilities so users can see what they need and nothing more.
- Ubidots Analytics Tools: Run serverless functions or create your own API to decode or encode data-frames using UbiFunctions. Compute math and statistical expressions directly from Ubidots UI with Synthetic Variables.
- Create your own API Endpoints to access 3rd party data, APIs, and tools using HTTPS requests.
- Complex Events Engine: trigger business logic and events from the complex conditional events (SMS, Email, Telegram, Slack, Voice Calling) engine in Ubidots
- Use Ubidots Device Types to configure device properties, appearance, and variables to automate the onboarding of thousands of devices.
- Private App Domains
- Private Application Branding and Visualization Customization
Here is an infographic to better understand the IoT Application Development and Deployment architecture and tools of Ubidots. Every Ubidots account has a lead "Administrator" who manages the IoT application(s). Each IoT application can be assigned multiple organizations; each organization can then be assigned its own set of users and devices to optimize the application's functionality.
2) Ubidots STEM
- Shared server and computational resources across all STEM users. Speed and reliability based on total platform requests at any given second.
- Non-commercial use ONLY (personal education, IoT research, or DIY projects)
- Up to 3 devices, each device can have up to 10 variables
- 1 month of data retention
- Up to 60 dots per minute across all of your devices
- Self-service support with Ubidots' Help Center or Community.
- 10 Free SMS and 1 voice call (US & Canada) to kick off your projects. You can add balance to your account anytime to send more alerts, including international SMS and voice calls.
- Maximum 10 widgets per dashboard
- REST API and MQTT Support
- SMS, Voice call, Email, WebHook, Slack & Telegram Alerts
- Synthetic variables computation (special functions are not included)
If you are an education institutions or non-profit, please note that many of your fellow organizations choose to upgrade to Ubidots commercial licenses seeking longer data retention, private customization, and user management features. Ubidots STEM is an ideal for future IoT growth and not a designation of a user's affiliation with any groups or organizations.