Ubidots is a two platform company - Ubidots and Ubidots STEM.
The STEM plan is a non-commercial license that supports our mission of making IoT easier and more accessible for everyone and is used by thousands of students, researchers, and hobbyists around the world. Ubidots STEM is best applied to DIY projects and non-commercial uses.
PROTIP: Ubidots STEM is the evolution of "Ubidots for Education" (app.ubidots.com), which is not maintained anymore, and will be shut down soon. If you still have an Ubidots for Education account, we strongly encourage you to move your IoT project to Ubidots STEM.
On the other hand, projects aimed at commercial or industrial applications should utilize the advanced development tools and reliability of the core Ubidots platform, even in prototyping phases. For applications requiring more than 3 devices, the Ubidots platform is likely a better fit.
What are the differences between Ubidots and Ubidots STEM?
As a free product, Ubidots STEM has limited features and capacity:
1) Ubidots STEM
- Limited to non-commercial use ONLY (personal education, IoT research, or DIY projects)
- Devices: Up to 10 devices. First 3 devices free, then $4.5 / device / month
- Variables: Up to 10 variables per device.
- Data Ingestion: 4,000 dots per day across all of your devices
- Data Extraction: 50,000 dots per day across all of your account
- Data Rate: 1 request per second, across all of your devices
- Data Retention: 1 month
- Dashboards: Up to 3 dashboards, with up to 10 widgets each
- SMS & Voice calls: 10 SMS and 1 Voice call for free per month (US & Canada only), then standard rates apply
- Emails: 100 Emails for free per month, then standard rates apply
- Uptime: No SLA - shared server resources across all STEM users. The speed and reliability is based on total platform requests at any given second.
- Support: Community-based, or self-service using our Help Center and API Docs
- Static and Dynamic Dashboards
- HTTP, MQTT, TCP and UDP protocols
- SMS, Voice call, Email, WebHook, and Slack Alerts. Telegram messages are not supported.
NOTE: Because Telegram limits the amount of outbound messages per minute, this feature is reserved for our business users only, which allows us to better monitor and preserve the quality of service.
- Synthetic variables computation (math functions only - data range and advanced functions are not supported).
If you are an educational institution, or non-profit, please note that many of your fellow organizations choose to upgrade to Ubidots commercial licenses seeking one or many of the following:
- Longer data retention
- Enable a white-labeled portal for students or researchers to access private accounts
- Ability to run advanced Synthetic Variables
- Reliability and/or Support
- IoT Enthusiasts whose knowledge allows them to solve business problems using IoT technologies, and want to create an IoT Business around this.
- IoT Entrepreneurs looking to accelerate time-to-market without having to hire a software team to develop an entire IoT application
- IoT Engineers within an existing organizations, looking to accelerate their internal IoT initiatives
- Devices: From 1 to thousands of devices (varies per plan)
- Variables: Up to 20 variables per device, then a device is billed as 2 devices or more
- Data Ingestion: Starting at 2 million dots per month (varies per plan). Dedicated data ingestion mechanisms, maximizing uptime and API response times
- Data Extraction: Starting at 20 million dots per month (varies per plan)
- Data Rate: 4 requests per second, across all of your devices
- Data Retention: 2 years
- Dashboards: Unlimited dashboards and widgets
- SMS & Voice calls: Unlimited alerts. Prices based on receiving country, at least 60% lower than Ubidots STEM.
- Uptime: 99.5% best-effort uptime included. SLA plans available upon request.
- Support: Chat and Email support included. Priority support plans available upon request.
ALL features in the STEM license, plus:
- App Management: Create multiple apps, each one with a custom domain, logo, and colors.
- IoT App Builder: Create custom widgets using your own HTML/JS and deploy them across multiple dashboards.
- Device Management: Create organizations within apps, each one with its own devices, users, dashboards, and events.
- User Management: Create users and deploy your App with different permissions and access capabilities so users can see what they need and nothing more.
- Ubidots Analytics Tools: Run serverless functions or create your own API to decode or encode data-frames using UbiFunctions. Compute math and statistical expressions directly from Ubidots UI with Synthetic Variables.
- Create your own API Endpoints to access 3rd party data, APIs, and tools using HTTPS requests.
- Complex Events Engine: trigger business logic and events from the complex conditional events (SMS, Email, Telegram, Slack, Voice Calling) engine in Ubidots
- Use Ubidots Device Types to configure device properties, appearance, and variables to automate the onboarding of thousands of devices.
Every Ubidots account has a lead "Administrator" who manages the IoT application(s). Each IoT application can be assigned multiple organizations; each organization can then be assigned its own set of users and devices to optimize the application's functionality.