All Ubidots accounts begin with a single App which can be accessed by users under a specified permission role to view, create, or edit resources within an Ubidots-powered App. Here's a quick refresher of Ubidots hierarchy:
- Ubidots License Admin – person who manages the Ubidots Account at industrial.ubidots.com, its App(s), Devices, Dashboards, Events, Organizations, Roles and Users. Ubidots accounts may have one or several admins.
- App(s) – an IoT portal holding Organizations, and a set of configurations that define its appearance, custom domain, locale, visible features, and language.
- Organization(s) – an entity containing Devices, Dashboards, Events, Tokens, and End users. End Users may have permissions over one or multiple Organizations.
- User Role – A permission group defined by the Admin, which specifies the type of access (Create, View, Edit, or Delete) an End User has over the entities contained in the Organization(s) the End User belongs to.
- End User – A password-protected account that belongs to one or several Organizations and accesses the Organization(s) entities through an App, and engages with them based on the particular Role that the user has been given.
Given that End Users may belong to one or more Organizations, this article explains how to give your End Users permissions to Create, Edit, and Manage the Organizations they belong to. Please check these other articles to get familiar with how Organizations, Roles, and Users work:
- User Management: Managing End Users as an End User
- User Management: Users
- User Management: Roles
- Ubidots Basics: Organizations
- An active Ubidots account with an Industrial license or greater
Table of Contents
- Create or edit a Role with Organization management permissions.
- Create or edit an End User with an Organization management Role.
- Managing Organizations as an end-user.
1. Create or edit a Role with Organization management permissions.
In order to allow users to manage the Organizations they belong to, you'll have to create or edit a role, and enable the corresponding permissions.
- Go to the roles list under the Users tab. Select the role you would like to edit, or create a new one from the upper-right “Add” button.
- At the permissions section, select the Organization management permissions that Users with this role should have. Save changes by clicking the green check mark.
2. Create or edit an End User with an Organization management Role.
Now that the manager role has been created, you have to assign this role to users that will be performing these privileged actions:
- Go to the Users list under the Users tab. Select the user you'd like to edit or create a new one by clicking on the "Add" button, located at the upper-right corner.
- In the "Select Role" step, select the Manager role you just created/edited. Finish the creation process, or save changes, by clicking the “Next” button or the green check button, respectively.
When creating a User:
When editing an existing User:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Users with an Organizations management role will ONLY have permissions over Organizations they belong to.
Setting a Default Organization
Finally, remember to specify a default Organization for the end user. This allows our system to know where to assign resources created by the end user.
Although an optional step, this is especially important for Organizations management; if an end user removes a resource (device, dashboard, etc..) from an Organization, then it will be automatically assigned to the end user's default Organization. If none is specified, then the resource will be freed and unassigned from any Organization, so it won't be visible by the end user anymore - though it would still be visible by the account Admin.
To set a Default Organization, simply click on the "Edit" button of the end user, and select an Organization from the dropdown menu:
3. Managing Organizations as an End User.
Once logged in as an end user in your application, you should see the “Users” tab in the navbar, with the option "Organizations":
From this view the user will be able to create, edit, manage, or delete existing Organizations, based on the permissions you provided. It follows the same flow as creating/editing Organizations from the Admin Account:
Finally, in order to add Devices, Dashboards, or Events, to an Organization, go to the respective Organization, select the resource you'd like to add, and then click on the "Add" button in the upper right corner:
Note that the resources listed are only those belonging to all Organizations the end user belongs to. Once added, they will be moved from their original Organization, to the one being edited. In the above example, 4 devices were added to "Deloitte": 2 taken from "Accenture", and 2 taken from "PWC".