All Ubidots accounts begin with a single App that can be accessed by users under a specified permission role to view, create, or edit resources (Devices, Dashboards, Events, Tokens and End users) within an Ubidots-powered App. Here's a quick refresher of Ubidots hierarchy:
- Ubidots License Admin – a person who manages the Ubidots Account at industrial.ubidots.com, its App(s), Devices, Dashboards, Events, Organizations, Roles, and Users. Ubidots accounts may have one or several admins.
- App(s) – an IoT portal holding Organizations, and a set of configurations that define its appearance, custom domain, locale, visible features, and language.
- Organization(s) – an entity containing Devices, Dashboards, Events, Tokens, and End-users. End Users may have permissions over one or multiple Organizations.
- User Role – A permission group defined by the Admin, which specifies the type of access (Create, View, Edit, or Delete) an End User has over the entities contained in the Organization(s) the End User belongs to.
- End-User – A password-protected account that belongs to one or several Organizations, and accesses the Organization(s) entities through an App and engages with them based on the particular Role that the user has been given.
In this quick Roles Ubidots User Guide you'll learn to create, edit, and manage different user Roles to give users access to different aspects of an Ubidots App.
Table of Contents:
- Creating a new Role
- Ubidots Default Roles
- Edit & Delete Roles
1. Creating a new Role
- First, select the Roles tab from the main navbar.
- Then, click the "+" icon located in the top-right corner of the interface to add a new Role group.
- Add a title for the Role and description of the user group.
- Select or deselect any available permission allowing a user with this role to access the specific functionality of the designated permission.
When editing permissions, you will see the "✓" next to any enabled permission. When an "X" is visible, the permission will not be available to the users assigned to this Role.
2. Ubidots Default Roles
- Explorers: can create, edit, view, and delete dashboards and events. They can view the devices, variables, and values, but can't edit or delete these.
- Viewers: can view dashboards, devices, variables and their values, but can't create, edit, or delete them.
- Dashboard viewers: can only see data dashboards of their organization.
- Managers: can do everything an admin can do, except creating, editing, or deleting end-users.
- Create your own: using Roles, you can custom create user access permissions as you see fit.
3. Edit & Delete Roles
To edit & delete a Role, simply select the one the needed buttons from the chosen Role.
Other users also found helpful: