All Ubidots accounts begin with a single App that can be accessed by users under a specified permission role to view, create, or edit resources (Devices, Dashboards, Events, Tokens and End users) within an Ubidots-powered App. Here's a quick refresher of Ubidots hierarchy:
- Ubidots License Admin – a person who manages the Ubidots Account at industrial.ubidots.com, its App(s), Devices, Dashboards, Events, Organizations, Roles, and Users. Ubidots accounts may have one or several admins.
- App(s) – an IoT portal holding Organizations, and a set of configurations that define its appearance, custom domain, locale, visible features, and language.
- Organization(s) – an entity containing Devices, Dashboards, Events, Tokens, and End-users. End Users may have permissions over one or multiple Organizations.
- User Role – A permission group defined by the Admin, which specifies the type of access (Create, View, Edit, or Delete) an End User has over the entities contained in the Organization(s) the End User belongs to.
- End-User – A password-protected account that belongs to one or several Organizations, and accesses the Organization(s) entities through an App and engages with them based on the particular Role that the user has been given.
In this quick Ubidots User Guide you'll learn how to give your Users permissions to Create, Edit, and Manage their users. Please check the following articles to get familiar with how Organizations, Roles, and Users work:
- An active Ubidots account with an Industrial license or greater
Table of Contents
- Create or edit an existing role with User management permissions.
- Create or set an existing User with a user management role.
- Managing Users as an end-user.
1. Create or edit a role with End-user management permissions.
In order to allow users to manage their users, you'll have to edit an existing role, or create a new one, and enable the user management permissions. Please follow the below steps to set an End-user management role.
- Go to the roles list under the Users tab. Select the role you would like to edit, or create a new one from the upper-right “Add” button.
- At the permissions section, select the End-user management permissions that Users with this role should have. Save changes by clicking the green check mark.
2. Create or set an End User with a User management role.
Now that the manager role has been created, you have to assign this role to users that will be performing these privileged actions:
- Go to the Users list under the Users tab. Select the user you'd like to edit or create a new one by clicking on the "Add" button, located at the upper-right corner.
- In the "Select Role" step, select the Manager role you just created/edited. Finish the creation process, or save changes, by clicking the “Next” button or the green check button, respectively.
Creating a User
Editing an existing User
IMPORTANT NOTE: Users with a user management role will ONLY have permissions over users belonging to the same organization(s) that the user belongs to.
3. Managing Users as an End User.
Once logged in as a user management user in your application, you should see the “Users” tab in the navbar. From this view the user will be able to create, edit, manage, or delete existing users. It follows the same flow as creating/editing users from the Admin Account.