Table of Contents:
- What is a Device?
- Device Setup and Activation
- Creating Devices
- Editing Devices
- Deleting Devices
- Reset a Device's Data
1. What is a Device?
A Device in Ubidots is a virtual representation of a data-source or simply, an asset taking in sensor data and transmitting said data through a connection protocol to Ubidots' cloud. Click here for current firmware examples and tutorials for connecting your device to Ubidots.
2. Device Setup and Activation
All Devices are different, but the standard setup for any device entails the same characteristics when connecting to Ubidots:
- A library that should be installed in the device's IDE. (not required)
- A webhook or function should be used to communicate with 3rd party hardware clouds or platforms.
- Filling parameters for authentication and connection such as a TOKEN (i.e. the unique ID for each account or user), device label, variable label (i.e. devices and variables identifiers or names in Ubidots), Wi-Fi SSID, or Wi-Fi password, depending on the device and requirements.
- Making API request (i.e a call from a device to the web server). Ubidots’ libraries spare the need to manually make these requests. However, if you’re working with a device not currently in the list of supported hardware, you can choose a connectivity protocol such as MQTT or HTTP and make a request using API accordingly.
3. Creating Devices
Creating devices can be done in three ways:
- Devices are created automatically in Ubidots the first time a dot is received to a user's private TOKEN or using an Organizational TOKEN.
- Clicking the "+" icon in the top right corner of the Device's section of your account.
- Creating a Device Type which then creates a new device with pre-determined device properties, appearance, and variables and automate the on-boarding of thousands of devices.
4. Editing Devices
Devices can easily be edited directly from the User Interface. Simply click to open the device you need to edit and then using the Device detail pane located on the left-hand side of your Ubidots display correct any information as needed.
6. Delete Devices
Go to and hover the device you want to delete. You will see two icons in the bottom right: one for assigning this device to an organization, the second, a "trashcan" icon for deleting a device. If you wish to delete the device, select the trashcan and confirm.
7. Reset a Device's Data
From any Device you can easily clear all gathered data without having to recreate the device. To clear all data from a Device, simply open the device you need to reset and click the "reload" icon located in the main control bar to remove any recorded data and reset the device's data.
Other users also found helpful: